Written by Kristen Randall
Have you accumulated a lot of t-shirts over the years that you will never wear again? If so, instead of throwing them away you can give them a new use by braiding them into a rug following these steps!
What you’ll need:
Approximately 15 shirts (for a 30” rug)
- Cut the shirts into 1.5” wide strips and cut the ends so that they are strands of fabric and not loops.
- Gather three strips, stack them, and tie a knot in the top. Start braiding the strips.
- Once you’ve braided about 4” of the strips, coil the braid into a circle as shown above, with the knot in the center.
- Take the strand closest to the center and pass it under and through one of the loops in the braid you coiled. This is how the coil will be attached to the braid.
- Continue braid for a few more inches.
- Every few inches, pass the strand closest to the center under and through the existing braid to attach it. This will continue as you make the entire rug!
To Add Strips:
- Fold over the very end of the attached strand and the new strand. Cut a small slit into the center of each.
- Put the two strands together so that the slits are lined up.
- Take the other end of the new strand and pull it back through the back of the slits towards the front.
- Link the strands together by pulling them both tightly.