By Kieran Maloney
February is the month for snow, loved ones, and chocolate. No matter my standing with a significant other, I can always count on my dad every Valentine’s Day. He worked early mornings so every year before school I was greeted by a chocolate heart and Valentine from my dad. This is only one of the ten million reasons I’m thankful for him in my life, but having him 700 miles away for the first Valentine’s Day ever is a big change. My love for my dad and chocolate on February 14th will never change. Since I won’t have a chocolate heart to wake up to this Tuesday, I’m going to have to improvise. Using simple ingredients and simple steps, you can make a cute Valentine’s mug cake too!
Here is the recipe and a list of utensils you will need. This recipe is doable anywhere, even in a dorm room!
Chocolate Banana Mug Cake
- ½ ripe banana
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk (almond or soy work too)
- Handful of chocolate chips (optional)
- Fork (for eating, mashing, and mixing)
- Tablespoon (tbsp) and Teaspoon (tsp) measure
- Mash your banana in your mug using a fork. (The riper the banana, the better for baking because it’s softer, sweeter, and easier to mash)
- Add your flour, cocoa, sugar and baking soda into the mug and mix together with banana.
- Halfway through mixing, add your milk to the mug and mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Microwave for 45 seconds and top with chocolate chips
- Enjoy with gal pals!